Pulp & Paper
Value Driven. Environmentally Friendly.
Smart solutions for the Pulp & Paper industry.
The pulp and paper industry is one of the world’s largest consumers of industrial oxidants used for delignification, bleaching, brightening and other applications. However, there are a very limited number of practical options to modify existing mill [fiber line] designs or increase capacity without high capital investment. The industry is facing increased consumer pressure for environmentally friendly and more sustainable paper and fiber products, which is motivating changes in how products are manufactured. At the same time, the industry is challenged by competitive pricing pressures that demand cost reductions for the industry to survive and prosper.
Clean Chemistry offers a new and patented product, PeroxyMAX, which is an environmentally friendly, advanced oxidation chemistry in a liquid formulation that can help meet efficiency and production goals in pulp and paper production. This inherently safer product shows unique capabilities for bleaching, brightening, delignification and microbial control while the technology platform delivers performance with low capital and operating cost. Together, these features provide value to our customers through:
- Cost saving optimization
- More consistent, improved fiber quality
- Debottleneck bleaching capacity, eliminate overbleaching
- Additional energy recovery, water use efficiency, and effluent reduction
- Support safety and sustainability goals
PeroxyMAX creates value by leveraging its intrinsic properties, which distinguish it from other oxidants in widespread use.
Particularly exciting is the flexibility that this chemistry can bring to a mill. It is safely generated on-demand, near the point of application, and fed into plant locations where other oxidants cannot be used due to safety, corrosion, or chemical compatibility limitations. This flexibility provides mill management with new options for optimizing the chemistry in their operations.
Intrinsic Properties of PeroxyMAX
- Inherently safer liquid formulation, non-fuming, low odor
- Produced on-site, no storage requirement
- Fast-acting and non-persistent, very low AOX formation potential
- Selective oxidation, e.g., attacks lignin, not cellulose
- Less corrosive than most other oxidants; compatible with existing mill materials, paper machines, recovery boilers
- Compatible and safe to use with other oxidants, acid, alkali, and biocides
- Effective over a wide range of process conditions, e.g., pH and temperature
Equally important is the ability to deploy PeroxyMAX with virtually no capital expenditure required while avoiding storage and containment of the active oxidant. Together, the inherent features and advantages of the technology make this oxidant a practical drop-in replacement, complement, or addition in existing mills.
Creating value in the mill
Because its intrinsic properties allow PeroxyMAX to be used in many locations and ways that traditional oxidants cannot, there are a variety of methods available to create value.
- Replacing other oxidants with high associated costs (e.g., hydrogen peroxide with pH adjusters).
- Supplementing ClO2 to avoid higher incremental costs (e.g., unused carry-over).
- Complementing other oxidant chemistry by enhancing existing stages.
- Providing an additional oxidant stage with different chemistry in existing mill infrastructure (e.g. addition to storage chests or washers).
- Supplementing microbial control programs without damaging equipment.
- Reducing water consumption or discharge per ton of pulp.
PeroxyMAX applications for pulp and paper
PeroxyMAX can be evaluated as an alternative or complementary oxidant to every oxidant used in a pulp/paper mill today. The following applications are a starting point for mill operations personnel to assess how PeroxyMAX can best be employed in their mills.